HOW TO REMOVE SCRATCHES AND DENTS
No driver wants to see a scratch on their vehicle, but your car’s appearance isn’t the only thing that can take a hit from exterior damage. If a deep scratch is left untreated, it can lead to a long-term loss of value, so it’s important to assess the damage right away. Those who act quickly may be able to save their vehicle from the rust that can form on exposed metal.
HOW TO REMOVE DEEP SCRATCHES FROM CAR PAINT
If the scratch you’ve noticed has only penetrated the clear coat, removing the scratch may be as simple as cleaning the affected area, buffing with a scratch remover, and then washing and waxing for an even finish. However, if you believe the scratch may cut all the way through to your vehicle’s metal body, the scratch removal process can be significantly more involved:
- After procuring the correct touch-up paint, clean the scratch using automotive soap and water. Make sure to remove any rust, or it will continue to spread underneath your new layer of paint.
- Once the area is dry, use a small brush to apply automotive primer to the scratched area.
- After the primer has dried, apply a layer of touch-up paint over the scratch. If the scratch is small, you may get the best results by applying the paint with a toothpick.
- Add a layer of clear coat over the dried paint and primer. If you’re using a spray can, take steps to limit overapplication and dripping.
- Polish the area with a polishing wheel and rubbing compound. Then, wax and wash the car to make sure that your hard work lasts.
PAINTLESS CAR DENT REMOVAL
Depending on where you go, removing dents in your vehicle can be a costly process. Although it is possible to remove small dents by applying a plunger to the damaged area, most drivers in the Clarkston and Detroit areas will have the best experience when they visit a trusted local service center. The technicians at John Bowman Chevrolet, Inc. are well practiced in paintless car dent removal, and when you visit our collision center, you may be able to get the work you need for less.
GET THE WORK YOU NEED AT John Bowman Chevrolet, Inc.!
Drivers from as far out as Detroit and Waterford trust the experts at the John Bowman Chevrolet, Inc. service center. We can help you remove deep scratches and dents in just a short time, and we’ve made it easy to schedule service. If you have a problem you can’t solve on your own, contact our team today.